Saturday, 20 April 2013

Quick Guide To Bronzers - For Pale Girls!

Wow, how lovely has the weather been today!? I'm back in London now for around 5/6 weeks and I'm feeling really summery today! I have just been doing what I need to do whilst having the music channel on in the background and my window open. There's such a lovely breeze and I'm loving this temperature (I don't mind this weather but when it starts to get much warmer I will be moaning because I dislike being too hot - it makes me agitated and then I get moody!), it's so nice to see a summery blue sky for once!

With the temperatures starting to warm up and many people tweeting me saying that they're looking forward to hearing my opinions on the bronzers that I have tried/use, I thought it was time to publish this post and hopefully help some pale girls out! Summer is the time of year when everyone wants to look like a healthy and glowing bronzed goddess but when you're a pale girl you can often end up looking a little too orange and cakey!

I have recently really been getting into contouring so bronzers and highlighters have become my best friends! However, finding the perfect bronzer isn't the easiest thing to do when you're really pale because they can either show up too orange or too brown on your skin and make you look like you just placed two super obvious lines on your face (not a good look!). I know from Twitter that lots of other pale girls have a difficult task finding a bronzer because there are so many different shades, finishes and brands available that they quite simply don't know where to even begin looking.

I haven't reviewed these bronzers fully because I plan on reviewing them individually at some point in the future and it would just make things too complicated. I have tried to write an informative yet simple post to help pale skinned girls narrow down their quest for the perfect bronzer and I hope that some of you find this helpful (even if one person comments/tweets saying that this post has helped them find a bronzer that they're happy with I will be over the moon because I honestly know how hard and daunting finding a bronzer can be!).


Top Left - Bourjois Poudre Bronzante 51
Top Right - Sleek Face Form Palette 'Light 373'
Bottom Left - Benefit Hoola
Bottom Right - NARS 'Laguna'


Bourjois Poudre Bronzante 51/ Chocolate Bronzer

Price: £6.99.
Finish: Matte (there are some gold speckles running through the powder but they do not show on the skin).
Texture: Soft.
Build able?: Yes.
Other Shades Available?: Yes. I believe there are two shades available: 51 (the one pictured above) and 52 which is slightly darker.
Easy To Blend?: Yes.
My Opinion: Personally, on my skin, this looked a little too orange for me. As you can see from the photo above of the swatches, this bronzer looks the most orange out of them all. A lot of pale girls swear by this bronzer but I just wasn't 100% happy with it.

Sleek Face Form Palette - Light 373

Price: £9.99 (for this price you get three products in the palette that are all suitable for pale skin tones. A bronzer, highlighter and a blusher).
Finish: Matte.
Texture: Soft.
Build able?: Yes.
Other Shades Available?: Yes. I think that there are three palettes available all aimed at different skin tones - light, medium and dark.
Easy To Blend?: Yes.
My Opinion: I really like this bronzer and although the colour is a little darker than Hoola it isn't too dark and doesn't look like I have strips of brown down my face. As you can see from the photo above, this bronzer is the darkest one and therefore I feel as though I really have to only apply the tiniest amount of product onto my brush and really go to town with the blending! I don't think that this bronzer is too dark of muddy looking if applied with a light hand. 

Benefit Hoola

Price: £23.50.
Finish: Matte.
Texture: Soft.
Build able?: Yes.
Other Shades Available?: No this is a standard colour and the colour can be built up according to skin tone.
Easy To Blend?: Yes.
My Opinion: This bronzer comes with a brush that you could use but I chose not to use it. Some describe Hoola as looking muddy and believe it would be too dark for a pale skin tone and more suited to a medium tone but I don't think this is the case. As I said with the Sleek bronzer, the key is to use a small amount of product, a good brush and a light hand so you have to ability to add more product if you need it! The good thing about Benefit is that because it's a high end brand you can ask to try the product before you buy it so you don't waste your money on something that just isn't going to suit you.

NARS 'Laguna'

Price: £26.00
Finish: Semi Matte/ Matte. I wouldn't go as far as saying this bronzer was shimmery but I most definitely wouldn't describe it as being matte. There are extremely small gold shimmer particles within the powder and when the product is applied underneath the cheek bones it gives a lovely effect. The shimmer doesn't make you look like you have a glittery contour and instead makes you look healthy and 'glowing'. I really really like this bronzer and it's also Tanya Burrs favourite!
Texture: Soft.
Build able?: Yes.
Other Shades Available?: No Laguna is just simply 'Laguna'. It's a one shade kind of bronzer. However, NARS do have other bronzers available so if you're looking for something other than 'Laguna' I'd recommend checking them out as there are other shades available.
Easy To Blend?: Yes.
My Opinion: This bronzer is one of those cult products that everyone goes on about and it has been on my wishlist for ages. When I bought this bronzer, I only quickly swatched it on my hand and immediately said to the sales assistant that I'd like to take one. I didn't spend any time considering whether or not it would be too dark for me (something I should have done as this ins't a cheap product!!) and as I result I panicked massively when I got back and seen how dark it looked in the pan! Don't panic though, the colour of this sheers out completely and the powder is beautifully smooth so blends out like a dream. The speckles of shimmer that are contained within the product don't transfer onto to skin and I just love this bronzer. As you can see from the swatches above, Laguna is the lightest out of the four bronzers that I have been talking about and it is also slightly less pigmented than Benefits Hoola so is wonderful for super pale girls like myself. 

Which bronzer out of the four is my favourite?

I love Hoola, the bronzer in the Sleek palette and my NARS Laguna. To be honest, I have been reaching for Laguna the most and have been really enjoying using it. I also love the NARS packaging and although it does get dirty super easily it wipes clean.

Which one would I recommend?...

For someone who is new to the world of bronzers/ on a budget I would definitely recommend the Sleek Face Form Palette. This palette is amazing value for money because for £9.99 you get the bronzer, highlighter and blusher.

For the highend makeup lover and the bronzer addicts I would definitely recommend Hoola or Laguna. They are both super well known bronzers for different reasons. Hoola is matte whereas Laguna has a slight shimmer in it (but trust me, this shimmer is only slight!!). For a super bronzed glow, Laguna and Hoola work wonderfully together but this combination is probably more suited to medium skin tones. 

For someone looking for the palest bronzer I'd have to say NARS because as you can see from the swatches and as I have already said this bronzer is the palest one I own. However, this one is the most expensive so you really do want to try this before you buy.

I hope that this post has been helpful and easy to understand. I think the key to bronzing/contouring when you have a pale skin tone is to use a small amount of product, a good brush and a light hand. As well as finding bronzers difficult I know that a lot of girls also struggle to find the perfect brush to bronze with so if you would like a quick/simple brush post and a bronzing tips post then please let me know! I hope you're all enjoying the sunshine and are having a wonderful weekend :) 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post Elysia! This was super helpful! I just ordered The Balm's Bahama Mama bronzer online and bought Urban Decay's Flushed palette the other day at Sephora, which has a bronzer, highlighter and blush! Looking forward to trying them out! :)

    natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed reading and found it helpful :) I haven't heard of The Balms bronzer but the UD palette looks wonderful! Apparently, the Sleek palette I featured in this post is a really good dupe for the UD Naked Flushed palette xxx

      Delete
  2. Such a helpful post hun! I'm a firm Laguna addict like so many other people but I will definitely have to check out some other alternatives!:D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this useful :) I love Laguna! As soon as I used it I fell in love with it. I think bronzers are quickly becoming my makeup must haves! xxx

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for doing this post! I have such pale skin and am really struggling to find a bronzer without gold shimmer in, which makes me look like an orange! Nars may have to be my months treat! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all :) A lot of girls said they would like a post like this so I'm glad this was helpful! There are so many bronzers available on the market, it's hard to know where to start looking. Glad you've got some ideas :) It really is an amazing product! xxx

      Delete
  4. i love the sleek and the bourjois one! but i neeeed to get my hands on either hoola or laguna.. i'm thinking hoola as im pretty clumsy and will probably drop laguna and it might shatter, the only downside to nars products!xx
    www.oliviaroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of girls swear by the Bourjois one but I just found it too orange :( The Sleek one is amazing and such great value for money! Laguna and Hoola are both amazing, it just depends what type of colour you're looking for :) I haven't dropped my Laguna, thankfully!! xxx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post, the Sleek one sounds lovely, must have a proper look when I'm shopping xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all :) The Sleek one is really nice. It's definitely the darkest out of the four bronzers but it's workable xxx

      Delete